Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Who I am and Where the Red Fern Grows

I was born and raised in Palmer, AK.  Last Thursday was my first day ever in Montana.  Every summer I commercial fish with my family on the Kenai Peninsula of AK.  I love the hard work, being on the boat, and being away from the rest of the world.  This spring I went to Greece for a sailing Bible school.  For three months twelve of us learned to sail around the Agean Sea as we had lecturers teach about the Bible.  It was one of the best adventures.  I love being outside, on top of mountains, on boats, or on a run.  I've played piano my whole life and last year I learned how to play the guitar.  One of my favorite things to do is sing while I play piano or guitar. 

The last book I remember thoroughly enjoying is "Where the Red Fern Grows."  It may have been 5th grade when I read it, but I've never been so into a story.  I like reading but I don't do it too often mainly because I find it overwhelming to pick a book.  I like books that are assigned in classes because then the decision is made for me.  A library is an inspiring, yet exhausting place for me to go.  I've never had a favorite author or genre which probably adds to my "lostness" when I step into a library or try to pick a book to read.  If there's a rainy day when I can sit inside and drink tea, reading sounds fun.  Or, if its a sunny day and there is a lawn for me to sit and get tan on, reading sounds nice too, but reading by itself rarely sounds attractive.  I'd like to enjoy it and do it more, but I never have.

5 comments:

  1. What do you think of Missoula from what you've seen so far?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good reflections, thanks Heidi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Missoula quite a bit. I'm excited about a new place to explore and new people to meet. Its definitely different than Alaska in a lot of ways; people, land, culture, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey I feel the same way in the library! I normally just make someone else pick a book out for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also enjoyed reading Where The Red Fern grows in grade school years, how do you like the weather here coming from a place that is so far north?

    ReplyDelete