Sunday, September 19, 2010

Garbage

What’s your personal stake in garbage collection? How has it changed since you’ve left home? Do you recycle? Why or why not? Have your feelings about garbage collection changed as a result of the piece?

What’s your personal stake in garbage collection? How has it changed since you’ve left home? Do you recycle? Why or why not? Have your feelings about garbage collection changed as a result of the piece?
 I think garbage collection is very necessary, yet I don’t do much to make it easier. I don’t know if it is because my family isn’t big on recycling or because of where I live, but it has never been a big deal in my life.

 I don’t make a lot of garbage, or at least more than I need to, but I don’t make an effort to create less.
I live in Alaska where things are generally clean. Because it hasn’t reached the point where it looks like we need to make a difference, there isn’t much movement to recycle. I actually like making trash.

My mom tends to buy things in bulk. So, we save money, but also end up having a lot of food in our refrigerator and pantry. I like finishing things like cereal, milk, eggs, chips, or anything to throw away the package and make more room. Not much has changed since I left home. I still love finishing things, but I also don’t buy and eat as much. I imagine if I were to live alone I wouldn’t create very much trash. If it were convenient, I would also be up for recycling.  After reading someone's rough draft for this assignment, I was actually really inspired to keep a compost pile.  I think it would make sense with the kind of diet I keep.

http://believermag.com/issues/201009/?read=interview_nagle


1 comment:

  1. You should definitely recycle now that your in the lower states. It is very much needed because we have a lot of people who don't ever recycle. Just like you were inspired the idea is that you'll inspire someone else!

    ReplyDelete