Monday, November 29, 2010

My Missoula Thanksgiving

Wednesday, November 24th was favorite Thanksgiving ever. 
My parents were at a commercial fishing conference in Seattle the week before and decided they might as well fly to Missoula while they were in the neighborhood.  They rented a little house on 5th street where the three of us, plus my best friend/roommate, Maria- stayed.  Everything about the four day were perfect. 
The house was small and cozy.  It had squishy rugs and a fireplace.  The beds had way more pillows than a person could ever need.  The bathroom was clean.  There was even frost on the window panes.  Since it was blowing, snowing and negative degrees outside, it was the perfect excuse for knitting, drinking tea, and talking with Maria and my mom for hours (This is what we usually do at home most evenings).
On Tuesday night my mom taught Maria and I how to make an apple pie and dinner for that night.  The apple pie turned out to be exceptionally delicious (two people told us so). 
We celebrated Thanksgiving on Wednesday because my parents were leaving on Thursday.  It started with waking up and going out for a morning run with my dad and Maria up near Mount Jumbo.  It was the perfect start to a day with lots of eating ahead. 
The meal was yet another thing that set this Thanksgiving apart from all the others.  There have been some years where I don't even eat the turkey and I just eat all the rolls and mashed potatoes, but this year I couldn't get enough of it.  I ate stuffing, turkey, and even some candied yams!  My mom and I spent the rest of the evening making turkey soup with the left overs. 
Thursday came and was bittersweet.  My parents left, but Maria and I had the campus to ourselves-or so it seemed.  We watched the Macy's Parade and the dog show that followed while eating our turkey sandwiches.  For the past five days we've been eating turkey soup and left over mashed  potatoes.
It was by far the most memorable and delicious Thanksgiving holiday yet. 

1 comment: