Sunday, December 5, 2010

I feel like I'm one of those kids on Reading Rainbow talking about their favorite book...

I went to the Missoula Public Library a few weeks ago and never got past the children's section to the "over 10 years old" section.  I checked out a book titled Predators  because who wouldn't want to read that?  Did you know that a peregrine falcon's dive speed can reach 200 miles per hour?  Or that owls have special feathers that make no sound, ensuring a silent approach to prey?  Neither did I.  But my Predators book and my Children's Night Sky Atlas didn't change my life or inspire me in any way. 

I completed two books since the last blog post on books.  Ecclesiastes, from the Bible, and Crazylove, by Francis Chan.  Neither of them were fiction or "just for fun" reads, they were definitely shaping as I learned from them.  I didn't mean to read two books on the same topic, but I realize they are now that I think about the main focus of both of them. Both of these books, in some way or another, address people's quest for a life full of purpose and fulfillment.  It almost seems impossible that there could be an answer to the huge dilemma/search of life's meaning,but its totally written all over the pages of these guys.  I would highly recommend both.  Ecclesiastes gave me a sense of purpose and Crazylove gave me a sense of urgency in the way I live my life. 

4 comments:

  1. I love the children's books. It a good thing i took you to the library with me that day. When your done with those books, bring them to class and ill take them back this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh sweet! Thankyou! I can bring them Wednesday maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Word. I think I had that book as a kid. And I actually just sang in the Missoula symphony & chorale concert over this last weekend. I'm thinking about doing an Opera if I can find the time in the next semester or two. What classes did you have to read those books for?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you should definitely make time to do an opera. That is so awesome! All of those books were my choice to read.

    ReplyDelete