Sunday, October 24, 2010

5 Suggestions for Your Writing...

Journal:  I've never considered writing a hobby of mine, or really a forte, but I've kept a journal everyday since 6th grade.  Having a journal has kept me writing- especially during the summers when you don't want to think about anything that is related to academics.  I never dread it because I get to write about me, my day, and things that interest me.  There's no guidelines for journaling.  You're completely free to write about as little or as much as you want.  It is also interesting to go back and read your old journals because 1).  you are forced to remember all the little memories you'd otherwise have forgotten years ago and 2). you can see how you've improved as a writer.

Plan:  An outline or some sort of blueprint is necessary.  It sounds time consuming, yet after you've completed an outline, you just have to fill in the cracks with complete sentences and thoughts.  It aids you in staying on track and not wandering off on tangents.  Plan your piece before you write, and stick to your plan. 

Goal:  I find that when I try to write without a goal, I am very unsatisfied and confused with my work at the beginning, middle, and end of the writing process.  Feeling aimless and without a purpose is never right- not even in writing.  It is difficult for your audience to follow your writing when they aren't quite sure if its even going anywhere.  Pick a goal or point you'd like to convey or discover by the end of your piece. 

Read:  I almost feel unqualified to use this as one of my tips because I don't read enough.  But, I know from the few times that I have read in the past few years, it is inspiring and gives you many ideas for your own writing.  Despite what others may say, I don't think it matters what genre of books you read.  A classic novel may lead you to use a more diverse vocabulary, but a children's book can be very inspiring for ideas and voice.  

Time:   Set aside time to write.  Some people may "write well under pressure" and in turn procrastinate until the night before a due date, but I think if they were to spend more relaxed time on their piece they would write even better.  Try to get away from distractions, or finish other things that would otherwise be nagging while you write.  If getting started is the hardest part, set a time limit like fifteen minutes to write.  When you reach the fifteen minute mark, chances are you won't want to stop. 

1 comment:

  1. I love that you have had a journal for that long. I have tried multiple times to keep a journal it doesn't even last a week! I wish i could do it though because I would love to look back at it.

    ReplyDelete